Colorado Composes seeks to educate and encourage participants to become more confident in the creation of music through composition. Our project
Offers tools that enhance the learning process and works to stimulate the creative process through the use of frequent themes, composer tutorials, and participation awards.
We provide opportunities to learn from modern-day composers through video instruction and resource materials. Each student participant works one on one with a composer mentor in the project. Adults and teachers also have the opportunity to compose and share with a published composer who will mentor them through the composition process.
The Project creates a composer community through NOTEFLIGHT to allow social contact and sharing of musical ideas with participants in the project.
Our participants are given the time to practice their craft and realize the musical potential within them long before having to enter a formal competition or composition contest.
Great News about our Student Mentor and Colorado Composes Participant!
Public Domain Arrangement Contest Winners! Great News for Colorado Composes With Friends Project
Mitchell's piece can be heard on the Student Composer Bar.
Ben Turcotte | July 30, 2018
A big thank you to everyone who took the time to enter our contest! We received over 830 fantastic entries which made picking only six winners extremely difficult. For this contest, we asked Noteflight members to take any public domain song and arrange it for the chance to win some of our best prizes to date. Thanks to Samson, Blue, IK Multimedia, and Avid for donating over $4000 worth of prizes to our winners!
Grand Prize Winner
Toccata and Funk, by Mitchell Galligan (Mitchell-Galligan)
Bio: Mitchell is a high school junior from Colorado who studies piano and participates in his school’s Jazz Band, Wind Ensemble, Full Orchestra, and All School Musical Pit Orchestra. He is a U.S. International Piano Duo Competition finalist and winner of several state piano competitions. He has performed in various venues including Lincoln Center in New York, Boettcher Hall at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts, dinner events, and galas including one hosted by the Colorado Governor.
- Avid – Pro Tools: Professional music production software (DAW) up to 128 tracks.
- IK Multimedia – iLoud Micro: Studio Monitors
- IK Multimedia – Keys I/O: 49 Key MIDI Keyboard
- Blue – Spark SL: Large-Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone
- Blue – Lola: Sealed Over-Ear High Fidelity Headphones
- Samson – MK10: Lightweight Microphone Boom Stand
- Samson – Tourtek Microphone Cable
- Noteflight – 6 Year Noteflight Premium Membership
The 2018-2019 Composing year
Feel Inspired, Stay Inspired, Be Inspiring!
About Colorado Composes
Colorado Composes Project with friends is a collaborative project conceived by two music teachers in August of 2015. This project is committed to instructing and inspiring a new generation of musicians and composers not only in Colorado but around the nation. Our purpose is to...
Colorado Composes seeks to
- Educate and encourage participants tobe more confident in the creation of music through composition.
- Offer tools enhancing the learning process.
- Stimulate the creative process through the use of frequent themes, composer tutorials, and participation awards.
- Provide Opportunities to learn from modern-day composers through video instruction and resource materials.
- Create a composer community through NOTEFLIGHT to allow social contact and sharing of musical ideas with participants.
- Increase participation in state, regional, and national composer contests by giving our participants time to practice their craft and realize the musical potential within them. Watch our video welcome.
The Composer Bar
Music Compositions given a 4 & 5 star rating by our presentors and mentors are posted on our Composer Bar each at the end of each creative theme.